Monday, April 29, 2019

April 2019, featuring............. Melissa Leffler-Greenhaw


Melissa Leffler-Greenhaw




Melissa's parents settled in Berrien Springs, MI when her Dad received a position as a Professor of Old Testament Theology at Andrews University.  Melissa was born in St. Joseph, MI as the youngest sibling to her brother Michael and sister Marlena.  Her Mom was able to stay home and returned to her career as an elementary teacher when Melissa was in 2nd grade.  She grew up in Berrien Springs, and completed a Bachelors Degree in Elementary Education from Andrews University. That summer she and her then husband moved to Troy where her teaching career began.  During this time frame she moved to various places in MI due to pursuing her husband's educational path.  At this time Melissa began her Masters Degree as well and completed the degree in 2000 from MSU. Melissa taught in various elementary grade levels during this time frame. She was blessed with their first son, Joshua, at age 28 and decided to become a stay at home Mom. Not very far after they were blessed with Brendan and Caleb.  Almost 11 years ago, due to changes in her life, she decided to relocate back to Berrien Springs.
Melissa was always interested in special education and due to her oldest son's diagnosis of Autism Spectrum Disorder at age 3, it became more personal. Melissa felt she should pursue this as her career. She decided to add an endorsement to become a special education teacher.  
Melissa has worked in the St. Joseph District for almost 7 years.  Last but not least, there was a special person, Brian that entered her life over 4 years ago and they just got married December 22, 2018.  Thank you, Melissa for your dedication to SJPS, we appreciate you. Please read on to learn more about Melissa Leffler-Greenhaw.


Favorite Color - Black - I wear tons of black clothes.  I have had a student share with me, "Are you actually wearing another color besides black?"
Best phase of my life - 
All of them.  Even though I don't want to relive any of the challenging phases in my life, I feel that they all have helped me become the person I am today.
How do I want to be remembered - 
I want to be known as a caring and passionate person. This gives me the drive for everyday life at home with family and friends and in my career with colleagues and students. A person that appreciates all sorts of people regardless of race, gender and socioeconomic background, etc.  An individual that cares deeply for others and this in turn impacts all decisions that I make and continue to make.  That I truly want the people in my life to find contentment, peace and believe in themselves.  I feel the greatest joy is not receiving but giving back.  Anyone can give back to others in many different ways and that truly is what makes this world a better place.  I believe we are all special and unique individuals that have a purpose in our lives.
Hobby - 
I do enjoy traveling and spending time with family.
Important trait - 
honesty
Favorite Subject - 
teaching students how to read and math
Favorite piece of clothing - 
Leggings - They are super comfortable and you feel like you are cheating because they are almost as comfy as PJs.
Favorite Food - 
Italian
Favorite Drink- 
Water
Siblings
I am the youngest sibling.  I have an older brother, Michael and a sister, Marlena.
Sneakers or Flip Flops
Flip Flops
Time of Year - 
A beautiful sunny fall day!
Beach or Pool - 
I enjoy listening to the water, looking at the scenery, relaxing in a comfortable chair under an umbrella while watching people and/or reading a book.
In 10 years . . . . 
I see myself still enjoying the relationships I have at present, making new ones and building upon them, teaching students and traveling to various places.
Junk food or healthy food - 
I try to be healthy but do enjoy junk food.  Ice cream is probably the best junk food ever!
Three Wishes:
1) That everyone in my family and whom I am blessed to know in my life are content, healthy and happy.
2) That my kids find a career that they enjoy and find fulfillment doing.
3) That everyone would have the qualities of being selfless (thinking of others before ourselves), believe they are unique and special and in turn reach out to others to make a better world!
ONE of the Many Awesome Things that has happened to me RECENTLY
My Family Expanded - I got married to Brian - December 22, 2018.

No comments:

Post a Comment

November 2019.....Featuring Tony Balbo

Tony Balbo Tony grew up only a mile from St. Joseph High school where he graduated in1986.  Tony began working as a home tutor...